Our company has entered into cooperation with a large-scale diagnostic imaging network in the United States. The client provides high-quality imaging services, encompassing magnetic resonance imaging, calcium scoring, and mammography.
By leveraging domain-specific expertise, our team has delivered an advanced electronic medical record system. Considering various growth factors, for example, rising digitization transforming traditional healthcare delivery, the organization now enjoys improved productivity, better collaboration, employee and customer satisfaction, and, accordingly, greater revenue.
More and more companies in the healthcare sector are using EHR/EMR systems to optimize their operations. Strategic-thinking organizations increase efficiency, decrease errors, ensure better patient security and privacy, and support data-driven decision-making, and that by utilizing EHR/EMR solutions.
Other advancements in the healthcare domain are modern telemedicine applications, telemedicine platforms, clinical decision assessment and document workflow automation solutions, and other modern-day innovations. Some organizations perceive digitization more seriously and implement artificial intelligence, computer vision, and other cutting-edge technologies to multiply their competitiveness.
- In 2020, the global EHR market was valued at approximately $29 billion
- By 2027, the worldwide HER market is forecast to exceed $47 billion
- In 2021, 88,2% of office-based physicians had been using any EHR/EMR system
- In the same year, 77,8% of office-based physicians had been using certified EHR/EMR systems
The goals of the healthcare project
Until the prospective partnership, the implemented legacy system significantly deteriorated overall efficiency. The personnel experienced difficulties with traditionally manually conducted appointment management, schedule planning, data sharing and storing, and other critical processes.
Our company was approached to design an advanced EMR system to provide:
- Seamless patient appointment management
- Thought-out work schedule planning
- Secure patient history management
- Advanced reporting on the overall efficiency of all individual structures
The contribution of our engineering team
As we took over the project, the main web portal was already in place.
- EMR system software development
We designed an easy-to-navigate, HIPAA compliant electronic medical record system, considering legislative security and privacy concerns.
- Third-party integration
We integrated an external scheduling service, which allows to schedule individual processes more smoothly — data migration from database to database, data aggregation, as well as reporting.
- CI/CD, testing
To automate software development and eliminate possible mismatches, our team applied the CI/CD approach.
The open-source server Jenkins and the service GitHub were chosen for collaborative software development. The next-generation tool Cypress and the framework JEST were chosen for testing.
- Product maintenance
Our team also provided product maintenance and improvement.
The platform is designed to optimize data management, including electronic data recording and maintenance. The solution is utilized to handle medical records, check-up and test results, treatment and nutrition plans, diagnoses, allergies, and other relevant details.
By using the delivered EMR system:
- The patients can schedule their appointments from their personal device
- The patients can access their records at any given time
- Built-in messengers allow patients to communicate with their treating physicians if necessary
- Insurance cards can be quickly scanned and entered into the EMR system
The challenges and outcomes
The challenges we faced:
- The probably largest part of the complex projects was devoted to the system’s architecture
- The undoubtedly biggest challenge was the limited access to the already existing database structure — there were comprehensive APIs that did not depend on a specific system
Last but not least, with extensive, domain-specific knowledge and experience in delivering healthcare solutions, we paid great attention to ensuring HIPAA compliance — we followed security and privacy measures to protect sensitive information.
The software we delivered:
- Allows instant data access
The designed EMR solution provides instant data access, which improves patient care
- Reduces risks
The delivered EMR solution eliminated potential human error, which helps reduce risks associated with medication prescription, equipment maintenance, and more
- Provides seamless data sharing
The system provides for data sharing across facilities, which helps better coordinate medical care
- Provides efficient appointment management
The system helps handling appointment management more efficient and faster, which helps provide better patient care
In brief, by delegating the complex engineering project to trusted, experienced offshore software developers, the client has streamlined overall productivity and revenue.
EMR software can provide healthcare professionals with comprehensive and up-to-date patient information. That means increased efficiency, decreased risks, patient security and privacy, data-driven decision-making, and, naturally, greater revenue.
EMR solutions might automate manual processes — data entry and management, patient registration, appointment management, work scheduling, billing and claim management, and other time-consuming tasks. This does not only reduce time and cost but improves the quality of services.